Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Midnight Conversation

In a previous post about my dog, I mentioned how Sydney likes to sleep in our bed at night...with us in it. Never mind the fact that I bought her a nice and cozy bed online from Drs. Foster and Smith. We've tried different methods of trying to get her to sleep in her own bed at night, but no avail. Usually Sydney starts out in our bed and then I move her to her bed on the floor when I get into bed (she usually tries to occupy my side on the bed). If only that were the end of the story.

Me: Goodnight honey. I hope you sleep okay.
Husband: Goodnight sweetie. Sleep good too. Where's Sydney?
Me: Oh, I think she's in the other room. No, she's in her bed!
Husband: Good girl, Sydney!
Me: Good girl! You're such a good girl!

Several peaceful hours of sleep later...

Thump! Sniff, sniff! Lick! Wag, wag!

Me: Yawn....Sydddnnney...what are you doing?
Sydney: sniff
Me: Sydney, please don't lay on my head.
Sydney: sniff
Me: OK, let's go. Get back in your bed.

Sydney back in bed, asleep. Husband and me, back asleep.

An hour later....

Thump! Sniff, sniff! Lick! Wag, wag! Shake, shake!

Me: Sydney....please go lay in your bed.
Sydney: shake, shake
Me: Sydney, please don't...ow! Don't claw my back!
Sydney: stretch....strreeeeettttcccchhhh....
Me: OK, let's go. Get back in your bed.

Sydney back in bed, asleep. Husband and me, somewhat back asleep.

Twenty minutes before alarm goes off...

Thump! Sniff, sniff! Wag, wag! Shake, shake, shake! Lick! Lick! Lick! Lick!

Me: Sydney! Yik...My face is all wet!
Sydney: lick! lick!
Me: Huuuuuhhh...sigh....
Sydney: Yaaawwn....
Me: Sigh...I give up. Goodnight Sydney. I hope you sleep okay.
Sydney: sniff!

BRRRIINNG! BRRRIINNG! BRRRIINNG!

Me: Stupid alarm.
Sydney: sniff!

1 comment:

Will said...

Angela's cat, Winston, does the same type of thing at the most ungodly hours. Although I imagine there's a difference between a soft, delicate brush of Winston's whisker versus Sydney's *thwap* of her tail.