Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Greek Zone

Our friends Kelly and Champ invited Jason and me to a UNC football game yesterday. The opponet was UVA, and though we were pretty evenly matched, we lost by two points. Our seats were not that great, so we decided to sit in the open seating student section. Five rows up from the field, we thought we had found the perfect spot to enjoy the game. Unfortunately, we got trapped in the Greek zone...

For those of you not familiar with the Greek scene on any given college campus, let me first address their attire. Now, I can only speak from a UNC perspective, but at every game, the guys and gals come dressed as if attendeing a summer wedding in Cape Cod. Decked out in their Rainbow flip flops, Vineyard Vines khaki pants, J.Crew sundresses and Alexander Julian bow ties, these guys and gals are dressed to impress. With airplane bottles of liquor strapped to their upper thighs (gals) and a strategically placed cigarette above their ear (guys), the brothers and sisters are there to drink, yell, flirt and fall down concrete steps. Hey, at least they look good doing it.

Properly attired for the game, the guys and gals set forth to flirt, gossip and socialize.

Oh, are we suppose to be paying attention to the game? No? OK, did you hear about Mary Beth's new Range Rover and how it has NO built in GPS? Ohmygod, what were her parents thinking buying her that piece of crap?

As everyone knows, most of the Greeks live either in a frat or sorority house. At UNC, we have Frat Row and Frat Court. Living together, one might assume that when you meet up with you friends later, you wouldn't act so surprised to see them. But no, these Greeks (especially the gals) greet each other with the energy and volume of shrieking hyenas.

Ohmygod!!! Where the [bleep] have you been? I have been, like, texting you for like, an hour!

Nevermind that these gals saw each other just hours before at the sorority house. No, there are more important things to consider

OK - Thad and Britt went to go grab us a couple Diet Cokes so we can totally put some Captain Morgans in them. Ohmygod...I'm going to get so [bleep] wasted today! Do you think Thad likes me?

OK, by now I'm sure that you are thinking that I'm making fun of my University. No, I have great love for UNC. I'm only making fun of the crazy Greeks that we were around. In the course of one football game, my husband and I watched as a gal flashed us, bow tie clad guys got drunk, some other gal got hit in the head with a plastic cup, and a guy tried to give his drunk gal pal a piggy back ride up the concrete steps of Kenan stadium (and thus holding up everyone else trying to exit the game).

Despite the rowdy Greeks (who may read this and think I'm just a boring old thud), my husband and I had a good time and we were glad to spend our afternoon with our friends. We'll definitely head back to Chapel Hill for another game, but we'll make sure to sit far away from the Greek zone.

1 comment:

Will said...

UNC will be in Tampa this Saturday to play USF. I'll stay away from the Greek zone, if any of them travel down here.