Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Return To The Canvas

This evening I attended art class for the first time in almost a year and a half. I have been oil painting for over five years and taking an art class through Wake Technical Community College. But for the past year and half I haven't done much painting because of work, life, being busy. Life's little distractions seemed to pull me away from painting.

About a month ago, I woke up one morning after having dreamed about painting. I was in my art class and painting just as I had done dozens of times the past several years. Though it had just been a dream, I woke up with a real sense of missing not painting and creating art on a regular basis; I signed up for the next art class within a couple of days. And tonight was the first of eight art classes.

It was great to be back in class. There were some familiar faces and some new ones, but the feeling of settling back into class was nothing new. The smell of the oil paint and turpentine. The feel of your brush hitting the fresh linen canvas. The way oil paint gleams in the light, showing every brush stroke, revealing nothing but brilliant colors. Colors such as cadmium red, french ultramarine, burnt umber and yellow ochre.

Tonight I worked on a piece that I started during my last art class. I hope to finish it up within the next couple of classes. I'll be sure to post the final result.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Yea-a-a! am so glad to hear you are back to painting. You've got such talent and I love to look at your work. Be sure and keep us posted with your paintings.