Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pre-Season Is Over, Baby

Being dutiful American citizens, the husband and I have been watching (really tolerating) the Democratic National Convention this week on NBC. Sure, our living room between the hours of 10 and 11 pm is reminiscent of a severe case of 5 o'clock road rage as the husband and I yell back at the TV (I know you can hear us!), but we feel that watching the DNC is important this political season as we grow closer and closer to November. I mean, we gotta hear what the other guys (and gals) are saying, right?

And as I have watched the DNC the past couple of nights (which has only served to solidify the many reasons why I am a registered Republican), I'm amused at how much of a love-fest the DNC is for the Dems. People started crying before Michelle Obama could get her first few lines out. Hillary said last night that Obama was her man, when clearly her face showed that all she wanted to do was bitch-slap the dude and send him back to Chicago. And Ted Kennedy...well, God bless the man for his recent battle with brain cancer...but he really stole the show the other night, and by the media coverage, you would have thought he had been the only speaker on Monday. It's amazing how being immersed in a week-long liberal bubble can really short circuit the memories of the candidates, their supporters and the general public.

For instance, didn't Ted Kennedy kill a young woman back in the 60's because he was driving drunk? And I don't recall him ever serving any jail time. I guess being a Kennedy is a great get-out-of-jail card.

And I think I remember Michelle Obama stating back in February that she was proud of her country for the very first time (interesting...I would say America has treated you very well, Michelle, with your Princeton undergrad and Harvard law educations).

And Joe Biden, I hear you have a whole host of incriminating statements you've made in the past against Barack Obama. How did you wind up as the running mate for Obama? Short memories, I guess...

Hey Hillary, you've pulled a Joe Biden too many times to count during the primary season. It's a wonder you could even stomach your own speech last night. But you pulled through it, and I guess we'll see you in four years when you try to run again for president (oh yeah, it's going to happen folks...you'll see).

So, the DNC and the RNC are the kick-off games for the wild political season we're all about to experience the next couple of months.
Start, you say? Haven't we already been subjected to a wild political season for quite some time now?
Yes. And it's only going to get worse. Pre-season is indeed over, and the regular season is in full swing. So grab your beer and bucket of KFC, because the Superbowl of American politics is right around the corner.

I just hope there's not a wardrobe malfunction during the half time show.

No comments: