Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic Fever

How exciting are the Olympics?

If you are like me, you have been watching the Olympics pretty much straight since the Opening Ceremonies on Friday night. We're only about four days into the games and already Team USA has produced some amazing moments: the men's swimming freestyle relay with that awesome gold medal finish over the trash-talking French, the men's gymnastic team pulling out their best and earning the bronze when know expected them to medal at all, the USA vs. China basketball game watched by over an estimated 1 billion people and of course Kerri Walsh and Misty May dominating in beach volleyball.

I love the Olympics. I remember being obsessed with the 1992 games in Barcelona. I remember wearing a Barcelona Olympics T-shirt and matching shorts all the time. I have sports bras from the 1996 Atlanta games (I should have probably long thrown those away but I still have them and wear them). I remember in college making sure I was in front of the TV when Apolo Anton Ohno was speed skating during the 2002 Winter games in Salt Lake City. And now I find the games just as exciting as ever. For the past four nights I have fallen asleep to the TV while watching the athletes compete. I've had my husband wake me up when an important race is about to go on. Every night I say out loud, "I can't believe what these athletes can do. They are amazing." And they are. And the spirit of the games is amazing too. For a few weeks every couple of years, the best athletes come together to compete and show the world what they're made of. And every couple of years, America pulls together to root for team USA. Because no matter what political party you're a member of, no matter what church you go to, whether you live in a big city or small town, every American can come together and cheer on our athletes. It's a special time for our country, and the world. It's more than Olympic fever, it's a pride in our country and our most talented athletes. And I for one, am hooked for life.

Go Team USA!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I love our DVR and being able to watch the games anytime we want.
I'm coming back as Carrie Walsh in my next life...no more chairs/stools to reach the top shelves for me!!