Thursday, February 7, 2008

And Then There Were Two



Today at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, DC, Mitt Romney took his hat out of the ring and halted his race for the presidency. In this stunning turn of events, Romney graciously told his fellow conservatives that he felt it was his duty to bow out now for the sake of the Republican party.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror," Romney told the crowd.

I recently threw my support behind Romney after Fred Thompson dropped out of the race last month. Romney was the only true conservative left running for the Republican nomination, and while I didn't support him initially, it became clear to me that I had no other choice but support him, for fear of having John McCain wind up at the nominee. And as I learned more about Romney, I started to really like him and what he stood for.

Now, it seems that McCain will secure the Republican nomination.

I found out that Romney had dropped out of the race when I turned on the news after I got home from work. My first words upon hearing this news (and I'll be completely honest here): "Sh*t. Our country is really screwed now. Who am I suppose to vote for?" I asked my husband. He shook his head in response, as if to echo my very same feelings.

I am not comfortable supporting McCain. And I am certainly not comfortable with the idea of Hillary Clinton or Barak Obama becoming the President of the United States. I'm at a loss. Who the hec am I suppose to vote for?

I don't support McCain because I don't believe he has as his foundation true conservative principles for making political decisions. He is soft on border control, all about global warming, doesn't want to cut taxes and is a career politician. And I don't need to go into the reason why I don't support Clinton or Obama.

I guess I could vote for Ron Paul, but he's a little nutty. I do agree with some of the things he stands for though.

I might write in Fred Thompson. If enough Fred supporters wrote him in on the ballot, that would be a pretty big statement from the true conservatives. Do I see a modern day Federalist party in our future?

As November draws near, I'm sure I'll figure out what the best decision for me is in terms of voting. Every vote matters, and I certainly want mine to count for something. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

i am so confused myself...

love your blog - and cant remember how i found you..
but we share the same name, the same town, same politics, and are both coffee fiends - sweet!

Christopher said...

I was and still am a 100% Romney supporter, I was behind him when I first saw him in this campaign, I could see clearly that he had Leadership skills and the drive to take the country in the right direction.

I was let down when Thompson and other Conservatives didn't support Romney before Florida. That was a very crucial step that was not taken and we would have a whole different political landscape if Romney had been able to rally support.

I thought that Romney's message was good from the start, and irratated at the medias attempts to trip him up at every step and catch him in a lie....very biased indeed, everyone got to see the 'real media' when they came after Romney, and they are not doing it at all to the canidates we have today.

This election has made me frustrated to keep up with, there are no Leaders in this race...only three people that will do or say anything popular to get elected. What a sham.