Friday, October 19, 2007

Sound Selections

Can you tell a lot from a person by the type of music they listen to? Probably so. When I bought my new Ford Explorer last year, one of the features I was most excited about was a six disc CD changer. My previous car (an older Nissan Sentra which I loved) had no such feature. I was at the mercy of the radio and (gasp!) a tape deck. Since acquiring my wonderful new ride last summer, I have thoroughly enjoyed the wonders of having six CDs available to me with the single touch of a button. Currently this is the music I am enjoying (in order of how they live in my CD changer):

"Inside in/Inside Out" by The Kooks. I discovered this wonderful British indie rock band on iTunes about two months ago. Love them! The band members are almost 10 years younger than I am, but those British accents sure do make them sound older. The talent these kids have - I mean, what was I doing at age 17? Deciding what pair of Gap jeans to buy? Sadly, yes.

Billy Joel classics. My husband does not like the Billy Joel, so I crank it up when he's not with me. "The Longest Time" from the An Innocent Man album is literally the first song I ever remember listening to. My mom had the record, and oh yes, I had the moves at age six.

Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits. Who is cooler than Stevie Nicks? NO ONE.

Mel's Mix, circa 2006. My own burned CD featuring The Fray, The Knack, KT Tunstall, Maroon 5 and more!

Mel's Mix, circa 2005. Featuring Ambulance LTD, Hoobastank, Incubus and more!

"FutureSex/LoveSounds" by Justin Timberlake. This kid continues to make awesome records and very cool songs. Clearly N'SYNC was limiting the stylistic and lyrical genius that is Justin Timberlake. Congrats JT on breaking free from the boy band curse.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I actually remember buying that Billy Joel album at Sharpstown Mall in Houston - you and Will in tow. Many years later I saw him in concert. He is so talented.

I will be working on my shuffle this weekend and will listen to some of your recs.

Will said...

ooo cool stuff! I actually made a new Indie rock CD for you but will probably have to update it now! There's some great new stuff out there!